Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Hangover Part II

I absolutely loved the first Hangover movie, the raunchiness and pure absurdity of it all made it so hilarious.  It is a movie that with so many classic elements, from "Carlos" the baby, to Mike Tyson, and to the screaming naked Asian guy, it was just one outrageous scene to the next.  When I first heard they were making a sequel I was overjoyed, nothing would make me happier than to take another ride with "The Wolfpack."

My feelings though are a bit tempered though after finally seeing the film.  Don't get me wrong, the movie is absolutely hilarious.  The problem was that it was exactly the same movie, only in Bangkok instead of Vegas this time around.  This is not just a simple sequel following the same formula, like it is literally exactly the same movie.

The film starts out as you might expect, with the Wolfpack arriving in Bangkok for, this time, Stu's wedding.  Everything seems to be going well enough and with Alan offering no drinks laced with ecstasy, you begin to wonder what could possibly go wrong.  That is until after a nice, peaceful camp fire the night before, Phil, Stu and Alan wake up in a hotel room with a wild animal (a monkey this time) and seriously hungover.  Sounds familiar right?  Except this time, Doug is right where he is supposed to be back at the resort, and it is instead Stu's future brother-in-law Teddy that is missing.  The rest of the film ensues, as you might expect, as the three of them scour Bangkok for any trace of the missing Teddy.

The film essentially follows the same plot line, with only the setting changed, and many characters from the first  movie make return appearances.  There are few notable additions, and I did find this film to be even more raunchy than the first.  Liam Neeson makes a rather hilarious appearance, but the fact that I knew his role was supposed to be played by Mel Gibson, only for the cast to object, made it somewhat disappointing.  Overall, I found the film to be just as funny as the first, but it is the lack of originality that hurts this film in my eyes.  The first Hangover was such a funny and unique film, with many of the jokes I remember being referenced to throughout the summer after it was released.  The sequel lacks a little bit of the magic of the first one, but like I said it is still extremely funny and if you liked the first one you should still definitely go see it.

This Smart Ass gives it...

5 comments:

  1. I went to see this movie with my girlfriend last week, and I loved it! However, I did have a few gripes. For example, the way that they got drugged in this one was pretty dumb. And the end is pretty much the same as the first was a little disspointing. But it does not take away the fact that this movie was hilarious! I heard that they are going to make a 3rd one. Have you heard anything about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I saw this movie recently, after having enjoyed the first one, and it didn't measure up. Yes, it was still funny--but the same funny parts as the firts one. In all fairness, no one should see these movies in hopes of a action-packed plot. It's a comedy and it serves as a comedy. But, I couldn't agree more with your evaluation of the film and I like your addition of giving the movie star ratings. Also, I too have heard of a Hangover 3 in the making...yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mac,
    I have to agree with you. I saw “The Hangover Part II” opening night, and at the end of the night, I walked away a little disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you that it was hilarious, and even raunchier, especially with the …well you know. However, as soon as they wake up from their second major hangover, I felt that it was going to be the same movie again, but different location. Good rating by the way, and nice fair review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your review is on par with all the other reviews I have been hearing. I wanted to see this movie so badly when it first because the first one was so good, however I was already telling myself that it wouldn't be as good sequels rarely are if ever. I'm happy to hear that at least it was funny yet still disappointed with what I’m hearing as far as the plot goes. Maybe it will surprise me when I finally get to see it my expectations have been lowered a notch so maybe I’ll be able to enjoy it and not compare it to the original all night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been able to see the sequel yet, but your review is exactly what everyone else is saying. I loved the original movie and was so disappointed to hear that the second one was going to be the same plot. What made the first movie so special was all of the random acts of in-saneness that went on. For them to just replicate the same stunts is boring.

    ReplyDelete